Carolina Herrera: Herrera for Men (1991)



Carolina Herrera's Herrera for Men was one of the first real fragrances I ever owned. I was a teenager, I'd just picked up my first part-time job, and with my new-found disposable income I was exploring my fascination with colognes. I picked up the smaller, 1.7-to-2.5 oz bottles of Escape, Joop!, Obsession, Polo, and Herrera for Men, and they were all fantastic.

Eventually.

At first, I thought Herrera for Men was too sweet, and was probably better suited for feminine wear. (Hey, I was new, I thought all men's colognes should smell like leather, wood, or musk.)

But as I continued to wear it, I started to appreciate the layers of this fabulous fragrance. The initial bouquet of lemony lavender is quite good, and the rosemary adds an extra bit of surprise punch to the whole thing. It's hypnotizing, to be quite honest. I can stand there and sniff it for hours and just get lost.

It gets even better on the dry-down, though. That's when those initial notes start to give way just a little bit to a deeper base of sandalwood, amber, and musk. Absolutely enchanting.

It's an older scent, so it can be had for relatively cheap, but it has also stood the test of time, and you won't be finding it in the bargain bin. A 3.4 oz bottle sells (at the time of this writing) for around $40 at Fragrance Shop or Fragrance Net.  

It's also very versatile, in my opinion. Light and sweet enough for spring and summer, but with enough spice, warmth, and depth to hold its own in the fall and winter as well.

9/10 stars.

0 comments:

Post a Comment