Versace: Versace l'Homme (1984)



Ah, the fragrances of the mid 80's. It seems like such an either/or proposition. Either you get a scent that is wonderful and timeless, or you get a scent that smells very much like the 1980's and it's not all that much fun. For me, Versace l'Homme falls into that latter category.

There's a nice burst of lemon up front upon the first spray, and the patchouli is quite prominent as well, but the whole thing starts off very harsh to my nose. It reminds me of smelling my mom's perfumes when I was a kid, and all I could detect was the sting of chemicals.

As the non-descript "alcohol" scent dies down a bit, the lemon and patchouli stick around, but they're surrounded by strong floral odors. I have to keep checking the bottle to make sure I didn't accidentally get the women's perfume version of the fragrance.

I'm not sure if I just need to find another bottle, or find the original formulation, or what the problem is. I see that this cologne is highly rated by others, and I was excited to see what it was all about, but for now I have to say I'm disappointed. There's nothing special about this fragrance, and the florals are already starting to get a bit cloying.

4/10 stars.

0 comments:

Post a Comment