Givenchy: Pi (1999)



It's hard for me to be objective when reviewing Givenchy's Pi fragrance, because it was ruined for me in 2006 by a co-worker with whom I shared a cubicle. He would go out for regular smoke breaks, and then apply liberal doses of Pi to mask the smell of cigarette smoke. Of course, this accomplished nothing except to create a headache-inducing aroma of burnt cologne.

Not to mention the fact that Pi is a three-ton vanilla bomb with massive projection that should only be applied in small amounts, and only once. Using it as air freshener three to four times in an eight-hour period is severe overkill.

So I don't like this scent. Not anymore.

But if I remove myself from those obnoxious memories, and try to take a fresh look at this composition, I might be persuaded to call this a five- or six-star fragrance instead of a two- or three-star fragrance.

Did I mention the vanilla bomb? It's epic. And according to Fragrantica, that vanilla is blended with benzoin, tonka bean, almond, and anise. I don't know how accurate all of that is, but the point is made: Pi is sweetness, layered with sweetness, further mixed with sweetness, and planted in a bed of sweetness.

"Cloying" is something of an understatement.

Yes, there are some "green things" (basil, rosemary, tarragon, etc.) thrown in there to give it a more herbal character, but those notes get lost in the Vanillapocalypse.

Did I mention how sweet this scent is?

Still, it's an intriguing concoction, and at the time of its release it was a very bold and daring move by Givenchy, and I respect that. Again, if applied in small doses, it might be the sort of thing you could enjoy once in a while as a novelty. But seriously: small doses. The projection and longevity of this scent are not to be treated flippantly here.

6/10 stars.

0 comments:

Post a Comment