Maison Martin Margiela: Replica Sailing Day (2017)


Let's go sailing! 

Well, or maybe not. Sailing Day is more like the day you intended to go sailing, but then got to the water's edge and suddenly remembered you had other things to do, so you went home.

I'm speaking of the performance on this fragrance, or the complete lack thereof.

The opening 15-20 seconds is beautiful blast of blue, bright "sea notes" and aldehydes, with some green notes thrown in for good measure. The next 30 seconds takes a turn into something slightly bitter and a bit spicy, no doubt the seaweed, red pepper, and coriander. It's a very nice mixture.

And then it's gone. Entirely, completely, absolutely gone.

I press my nose up against my skin and inhale as deeply as I can, and there's barely anything there. It's hardly believable, but this turns into less than a skin scent in under two minutes.

I'm glad I only bought 10ml in a decant, because at $125 per bottle, this would have been an absolute waste of money.

It's too bad, too, because the opening had a lot of promise.

Notes: Sea Notes, Aldehydes, Seaweed, Iris, Amyl Salicylate, Juniper, Ambergris, Cedar, Red Pepper, Amberwood, Coriander, Rose

2/10 stars.

0 comments:

Post a Comment