Joop!: Joop! Homme (1989)



I still remember the first time I smelled Joop! on someone else. It was a schoolmate, and when I asked him what that scent was, he was a little embarrassed to tell me. I suppose that makes sense, given that teenage boys in the late 80's and early 90's weren't fully on board with wearing a sweet fragrance was colored hot pink.

I loved the way it smelled, though, so I got a bottle as soon as I could. Then, as now, Joop! is dazzling and unique. It's not for everyone, I understand, but I love the way it stands out in a crowd of similar-smelling fragrances.

The odor is difficult to pin down. What gives it that extra sparkle? Is this what happens when you take the vibrance of patchouli and mix it with cinnamon, jasmine, and vanilla? I've heard it said that there are citrus elements in the profile (bergamot, orange) but I don't get any of that here. I get a sweet-and-floral bouquet ratcheted up with just enough patchouli to make it interesting, but without patchouli ever becoming the prominent note.

It glitters, somehow. I would almost describe this as a "metallic" sweetness, but that would give the wrong impression.

There will never be another Joop!, so get a bottle while you can. It's definitely a fragrance for special situations, and it needs to be applied lightly. It's a projection beast and it lasts forever, so use a gentle touch with this one. It's far too easy to over-apply, at which point this fragrance becomes maddeningly cloying, sickly sweet, and likely to cause headaches.

7/10 stars.

0 comments:

Post a Comment