Giorgio Beverly Hills: Giorgio for Men (1984)



I love me some nostalgia, and I love me some 1980's "powerhouse" colognes (when they're done right, that is), and Giorgio for Men checks all the right boxes for me. Proceed with caution, this is definitely not a scent to be trifled with.

The initial burst is a basically a giant delivery truck backing up to the dock and unloaded pallet after pallet of patchouli and honey. It's a little shocking, honestly, how in-your-face and strong the opening notes are. But it's so, so, so good! Patchouli! Honey! More patchouli!

As you might expect, the projection is devastating, and I won't put this fragrance on unless I have at least a half hour to let it settle down before I have to be around people. It's very strong, it's very heavy, so be careful.

Once the bomb has exploded and the dust has had time to settle, some of the other notes start to peek out from behind the patchouli and honey wall: a hint of cinnamon, shades of vanilla, faint citrus. But mostly it continues to burn steady with that awesome patchouli/honey combo, albeit in a slightly more muted fashion.

I love this fragrance, I really do. I particularly enjoy it when I don't have to be around people and worry about offending them. It's a great scent for a winter weekend at home when you have no plans other than watching some movies or reading some books.

And yes, this is very much a cold-weather fragrance, in my opinion. I think any added heat might cause spontaneous combustion.

God, I miss the 80's sometimes.

9/10 stars.

0 comments:

Post a Comment